It’s all about features vs. benefits. How would you describe this room? Small? Undecorated? Now how would you describe it to someone you were trying to get to use it? Maybe something more like “comfortably cozy” or “a blank slate for your own decorating?” The trick is really not to describe the room at all – Describe what the room does.
Here is a condensed list of qualities that I used to describe our classroom:
- Tech-friendly (contains projector, computer, audio, etc.)
- Versatile blank space
- Sound-absorbing walls
- Carpeted floor
Now here’s the list of some benefits of the same room (using the audience of students):
- You will receive intimate individual attention (since the room capacity is only about a dozen).
- You will be kept awake and alert (because of the cold and brightness).
- You will have a relaxed learning environment (thanks to the quiet).
- You will take better notes and learn more because you were kept awake, alert, and relaxed.
- You will advance your career further because you had a better learning environment.
Who would have thought that such a drab room could get you a better job?